Friday 27 February 2009

dog metaphors

I enjoyed reading The Pet Museum’s post about a collection of dog metaphors at metaphordogs.org.

In our household, our dog’s favorite soft toy, a dog, is known as Drover. It’s our play on the well-known expression ‘the drover’s dog.’ Ours is ‘the dog’s Drover’. Okay, it’s a bit weak, but we’re easily amused.

Henry’s Lawson’s famous poem, Ballad of the Drover, is the origin of the expression but it was made famous by Bill Hayden when he was replaced as leader of the ALP on the day Malcolm Fraser called a double dissolution election. Hayden remarked that even a ‘drover’s dog’ could lead the ALP to a win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

parlance said...

Anonymous, I'm glad you enjoyed it.